A great pizza journey begins with great pizza dough. This quick pizza dough recipe will give you all that you look for in your pizza crust. Amazing flavour with a delicious crisp on the outside while being soft and chewy on the inside.
The recipe can be used to make both thin and thick pizza crusts. This quick pizza dough comes together so easily with so little effort, you won’t be wanting to use frozen pizza crusts anymore!
Quick pizza crust recipe
This recipe yields two 12 inch pizza crusts.
Get ready because you’ll be baking and eating delicious pizza right out of your own kitchen! Here’s what you need:
- 400g plain flour with some extra for dusting
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp fine salt
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp cornmeal
- 7g fast action dried yeast
- 225ml water
We’re assuming that you’re making this recipe because you want to bake your pizza as quickly as possible. Before starting on the dough, preheat the oven as well as pizza stones or 2 large baking trays. The oven should be at the hottest temperature (465°F for fan and 430°F for gas).
Once you have preheated the oven, it's time to get started on the dough.
- In a mixing bowl, combine and mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Next, dig a small pit in the center of the mixture. Add in the oil and approximately 225ml of water to bring the dough together.
- Transfer the pizza dough onto a floured surface and knead it for about a minute, or just till it is smooth.
- Let the dough rest (about 15 minutes). Use this time to make your pizza toppings.
Once the dough is rested, you can start shaping the pizza crusts.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Roll each into a small ball on a floured surface. Each ball should be about 10 inches in diameter.
- Transfer the ball of dough onto a large square sheet of baking paper sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Gently stretch and press the ball of dough with your fingertips until it is about 12 inches in diameter. Ensure that the edges are about 0.4 to 0.5 inches thick while the middle should be around 0.2 inches. You can also opt to adjust the thickness according to how you like your pizza crust.
- Repeat with the second ball of dough.
It’s time to bake your pizza!
- Spread the sauce and add your toppings! You may choose to drizzle your pizza with some olive oil and let it rest awhile before baking to allow the dough to rise. Slide the pizza onto the preheated baking trays or pizza stones.
- Bake it till the base is crisp. It should be a nice golden color.
- You can choose to make smaller, personal sized pizzas with this recipe. Just divide the pizza dough into your desired size.
- Use this recipe for your outdoor pizza oven. It’s quick to prepare and quick to cook. Invite your friends and have fun making pizza from scratch.
- Overloading with toppings can cause the crust to become soggy.
- You can pre-bake the pizza crust for about 5 minutes before putting the toppings if you find that you have perfect cheese on top and undercooked crust at the bottom. You do not have to do this if you’re using a pizza stone.
- If you see pockets of air forming in the pizza dough when it’s baking, all you need to do is to let the gas out by pricking it with a fork. You can also choose to simply prevent this by pricking the dough before putting it in the oven.
Should you use the pizza dough immediately?
No, you do not have to use it immediately. You can keep it in the fridge in a covered container for a few days. You can also freeze your pizza dough for a few weeks. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight when you want to use it.
How long does it take to make pizza dough?
Different recipes require different prep time. Our recipe requires less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy families who want to eat healthy! In fact, double the recipe and stick the extra pizza dough into the freezer. You’ll love the convenience!
Suitable for every occasion, our quick pizza dough recipe will save you loads of time. You don’t have to worry about planning in advance for homemade pizza dough anymore!