The versatile pizza is suitable for every occasion. Whether you’re having a movie night in, a birthday party or going out to dinner, pizza is always a crowd favorite. If you’ve ordered pizza, you’ve most likely to have leftover pizza. Here’s how to reheat leftover pizza so that it tastes just as good as the day before.
Best way to reheat pizza in oven
The only downsides to using an oven to reheat pizza is that it takes longer than the microwave and that it can be energy inefficient to have to heat the entire oven just for one slice of pizza. Obviously, the efficiency increases when you have more slices.
Here’s how to reheat pizza in an oven
- First, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Then, put the leftover pizza on a piece of foil. You can place the foil directly on the rack or place it on a preheated sheet pan.
- Bake it for about ten minutes or until it is warm. Leave it in the oven longer if you want it to be crispier. Adjust the time accordingly if you’re using a pizza oven or a pizza stone as pizza ovens are much hotter than conventional kitchen ovens.
- If you’re using a toaster oven, 3 to 4 minutes should be enough to heat it up.
Best way to reheat pizza in microwave
Using a microwave oven to reheat pizza is fast. However, you will most probably end up with a soggy pizza and by the time you start eating the crust, it’s become too hard to chew. This is because water molecules absorb the waves produced by a microwave oven to produce energy to heat up the food.
You will not face this problem if you’re using an oven which relies on infrared heat to heat up your whole pizza evenly. However, here’s what you can do if you’ve only got a microwave on hand:
- Place the pizza on a microwave oven safe plate
- Place a microwave oven safe cup with water next to the place. The water in the cup will help to absorb some of the waves, giving the pizza a chance to heat up more evenly and thus, lose less moisture.
- Set the timer to 30 to 45 seconds. Be sure to keep an eye on the pizza as it heats up.
While you still will not achieve crispy crusts, using this microwave hack gives you reheated pizza with an edible crust.
If you have a toaster oven, put it to good use. Heat the pizza partially with the microwave and continue with the toaster oven for a nice crispy crust.
Best way to reheat pizza on stove / in skillet
If you only have one or two slices and don’t want to use the oven, using a skillet on the stop is an excellent way to reheat pizza. Here’s how to retain a crispy bottom while heating the toppings and melting the cheese:
- Turn the stove to medium heat to heat up the skillet
- Place the pizza slices on it and cook for a few minutes, uncovered.
- Add a few drops of water on the side of the pan. Make sure you’re not adding the water on the pizza itself.
- Once you do so, cover the pan with a lid immediately and allow the pizza to cook for a little while longer so that it’s heated all the way through.
You can use both a stainless steel skillet or a cast iron skillet for this although stainless steel heats up faster.
Best way to reheat pizza on gas grill
Gas grills can reach high temperatures very quickly and because pizzas are usually cooked using very high temperatures, gas grills can work to put the crunch back into your leftover pizza. Here’s how to reheat pizza on a gas grill:
Turn on the grill to medium high heat
Place your pizza directly on the grates and set the time for about 5 to 6 minutes. Do note that you might have to adjust the timer according to the grill you are using.
Wait for the cheese to melt and remove your pizza from the grill.
Because gas grills have high temperatures, you may end up with some burnt spots. Temperatures that are too high can also cause cheese to separate, meaning the cheese will not be as gooey as before.
How long can leftover pizza last?
It depends on the type of toppings on the pizza. Cheese and pepperoni can last for about four days in the fridge while sausage, meatball and veggie pizzas should be eaten within two days.
Is it ok to reheat pizza in the box?
No. The pizza box is a fire hazard and even if it doesn’t catch fire, the high temperatures may cause release of chemicals.
How to reheat pizza without drying it out?
Not too keen on having congealed cheese on top of dry pizza? Use a mister bottle and spritz the pizza lightly before reheating it in the oven. Spritzing the crust will actually make it crispy again!.
Is it possible to make leftover pizza taste better?
Yes you can! You can do this by adding some sauce or sliced tomatoes, or fresh cheese on it. Sauteed veggie can also be added on your leftover pizza. You can even get creative and ‘recreate’ your pizza!
Leftover pizza can taste just as good as when it was freshly baked if it’s heated the right way. If you love pizza and want to cook some up at home, Gyber’s pizza oven is portable, easy to use and easy to clean. You will love baking pizza in your backyard with this fuss free oven!